Accreditation for UNFCCC Climate Change Conference
Lund University has observer status to the United Nations Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), which means that Lund University can send a delegation of Lund University researchers and students to attend the yearly UN climate change conferences and other meetings and negotiations under the UNFCCC. Below, you find more information about the UNFCCC and how to apply for accreditation.
The next UN Climate Change Conference will be held in Expo City, Dubai on November 30 - December 12, 2023.
This year, LU will have a quota for both online and on site participation. Read more about the virtual platform at unfcc.int
Application for accreditation with the Lund University delegation is closed for this year.
- Ahead of each UNFCCC session, Lund University can apply to send a delegation.
- After applying, Lund University is granted a quota for a delegation to attend the session.
- The Sustainability Forum sends a delegation list to the UNFCCC on behalf of Lund University.
- If the number of employees and/or students interested in attending the session exceeds the quota the university has received, priority will be given according to preexisting criteria.
- The UNFCCC confirms the delegation and each delegate is sent a letter of confirmation to be printed and brought to the conference.
Accreditation access UN Climate Change Conference Nov/Dec 2023 (COP 28)
Delegates have access to:
- The blue zone - the UNFCCC managed site at the conference. Read more about the blue zone here - cop28.com
- The green zone - open to delegates and guests of the Blue Zone, public and private sectors, NGOs and the general public. Read more about the green zone here - cop28.com
- A two-week thematic programme including World Climate Action Summit, Health / Relief, Recovery and Peace, Finance, Trade, Gender Equality, Energy, Industry and more. See the full thematic programme here - cop28.com
Information for delegates attending the UN Climate Change Conference Nov/Dec 2023 (COP 28)
Information for COP28 participants - unfccc.int
If it is your first visit to a UN session, please read the Code of conduct in the link above.
The COP Guide - copguide.org
The COP Guide serves as an all-inclusive collaborative schedule, encompassing both official and unofficial activities associated with COP28.
Delegates arrange their own visas, travels and accommodation for the conference.
Do not forget to check that you have a valid passport and to update your passport number if you have been a delegate before but have a new passport.
The Sustainability Forum handles the nomination process for the Lund University delegation.
The process of being nominated to the Lund University delegation for COP 28 is now closed.
For questions please contact Stina Lundkvist
stina [dot] lundkvist [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se (stina[dot]lundkvist[at]cec[dot]lu[dot]se)
Ways of participating
- As a Lund University delegate at the UN Climate Change Conference (COP).
Next session: November 30-December 12, 2023 (COP 28).
- As a Lund University delegate at the Bonn Climate Change Conference.
Next session: May/June 2024 (also called SB 60).
- Organising a side event at the climate change conferences. Organisers/presenters need accreditation to the conferences.
Next opportunity: at the Bonn Climate Change Conference (SB60) 2024 (expected deadline February/March 2024).
- If you do not have accreditation to the blue zone, you can attend events at the green zone.
About the UNFCCC
- The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) was established in 1992 and almost all countries have ratified the convention.
- Each year, usually around November/December, the annual UN Climate Change Conference takes place. The conference is a platform for a range of meetings and negotiations, including the Conference of the Parties (COP). The UN Climate Change Conference is often called “COP” followed by the number of negotiations that have taken place. In 2023, the Parties to the UNFCCC will meet for the 28th time – COP 28.
- The UN Climate Change Conference is held in different regions of the world according to a rotating schedule. In 2023, the United Arab Emirates hosts the conference.
- Each year, usually around May/June, there are also inter-sessional negotiations held in Bonn, Germany - the Bonn Climate Change Conference.